Sunday, July 14, 2013

REA 3 When does technology become the “cart driving the horse” when we’re instructing


I often wonder when technology will become the “cart driving the horse” when we’re instructing but still feel that I am able to implement it effectively but not entirely rely on it.  I often refer to technology as tool to enhance student learning and to engage them. 

The article undoubtedly made me heart ache, I just funded a project for my classroom and was awarded a $4,000 IWB. A tool my school district can’t and at this point in time will not support, (most likely due to articles like this).  Although I have done all research, funding, and training on my own and through my former school district I do feel that I can effectively implement this IWB in my classroom.  INCLUDING making it more inquiry based and effective.  Since this is something I have gone out of my way to get into my own classroom I see myself using it more effectively than if we were to have them supported within our district.  The biggest thing in my mind is not to use this as a tool to 1. Call a student out on their inability and publically display it 2. DO NOT USE IT as a glorified image projector.  IT is student driven. 

I will not have this piece delivered until this upcoming fall, and currently I am not sure where my teaching assignment will be.  Same district, different building, different grade.  I fear not, this tool can be utilized K-12.  Do you think I will use it effectively, of course. Is someone going to measure this? No.

Students order lunch utilizing the SmartBoard - student takes responsibility then one takes attendance before we start morning math 


Morning Calendar - Student Completed/Job

Math Workshop Station - Self Checking Addition and Subtraction using base ten blocks

Students find the area of different self created shapes - esploration

I see the argument from the article and yes technology is ever changing. My fight for IWB, we DON’T HAVE WIFI! Our school lacks the infrastructure to support any high-end need technology piece. Classroom iPads or Chromebooks would be amazing but right now would not assist students. Our PTO purchased one iPad for each classroom teacher last year but without any training or support from our district.  It became a glorified rectangle for teachers not familiar with iPad technology to check their email on AT home.  How sad, but it continues to happen…so perhaps the questions isn’t are these items effective to teaching or are our teachers just not properly trained?

This goes back to my last week’s post in creating inequality within the classroom.  Inequality has always been there regardless but with or without tech there will still be inequality in knowledge of, use of, and effect on our students based on its implementation. Inequality is going to exist period. Why should I be punished if I can function, support, and assist students in learning.

I currently run my personal iPad, PTO donated iPad, laptop and iPhone with wifi hotspot myself in my classroom. Costing me more in phone bills.  My current classroom computer will not operate IWB software, is not wifi compatible, and I have been denied the access to have Splashtop even upon writing a ticket to my classroom computer. The frustration continues.  Both of the IWB tools mentioned and explored I have and use, but am denied Splashtop support. I agree with you on using Doceri more than your actual IWB software.


As far as Prezi goes, I love the use of this presentation feature. I used it in student teaching to prepare a lesson for students with mild cognitive impairments (MOCI) and how to appropriately go out to eat on our planned field trip.  It was visual, informational, and just what they needed. With the use of the Promeathan Board in that room I created a quiz with clickers that didn’t disclose who answered what on display, but also provided step by step instruction with visuals, a huge need for students with CI or any student for that matter. During my Prezi students had great input and offered other suggestions, which I added by handwriting with the stylis on the IWB.



http://prezi.com/unwv-5ziprcq/how-do-i-act-when-dining-out/ 

I have also used Prezi in interviews to present rules, lessons, and my resume.  I have yet to have my own students generate their own Prezi at a K-2 level, but am very interested in trying to implement.

The article mentions;


“Some of the benefits of integrating such technology into classroom instruction include: meeting the needs of visual learners; more interactively teaching whole-class lessons; better engaging students (Wall, Higgins, & Smith, 2005); and using a variety of multimedia within a whole-class lesson - such as video, pictures, diagrams, and websites (Ekhami, 2002; Higgins et al., 2007; Johnson, 2002; Levy, 2002).”

I agree the benefits are great, I not only use it for whole-group but trust my (then second grade) students to utilize it in small groups during workshop model in math and literacy.  Students can work in small comfortable groups leveled to ability, I can create a quick activity, present an interactive game, and make it self-checking. Students will not be practicing an incorrect task without the board correcting them rather than in a small group I may not be monitoring at the time.  I also had the ability to remotely access any need the student had with the IWB across the room with a wireless keyboard and mouse (purchased on my own).


The article also mentions;
As these researchers say, "The main emphasis needs to rest with the appropriateness of the pedagogy, not the use of the technology per se" (p. 6). In all, school districts cannot expect transformational teaching and learning based on the simple addition of IWBs to a classroom.


I am not naïve in the fact that this tool is going to miraculously transform my teaching just by simply adding it to my classroom, but I do believe whole-heartedly that my students benefit from it.  

 In the conclusion of the article I was pleased with the suggestion of perhaps a district implementing the piece of technology in a few teacher’s classrooms or based on content.  I found that option to be appropriate cost wise as well as still having the use of it somewhere in a school.

Technology is prevalent and will continue to be a feature in classrooms.  I am not sure when it will be the cart driving the horse entirely with teacher instruction if it’s used properly and the instructor is educated.  Thus, requires technology updates, professional development, and overall instructor willingness to advance in the use of the piece.  I am not sure if we will ever see a happy medium in regards to technology based on state legislature, individual district budjeting, and overall need/want. 

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    Wow. Looks like you've got some real obstacles. I always operate under the "ask for forgiveness instead of permission" method, but I understand that can be risky.

    I commend you for going after the stuff you need, although running up your phone bill seems a bit excessive.

    As for using your IWB, maybe the thing to do is just run it through your laptop and get a router for wireless.

    Lastly--and I find it maddening that teachers so often must do this--I wonder if you could set up some sort of metric to show the impact of the IWB on your kids this year. We all know administrators LOVE data, so if you could show them something at the end of the year that demonstrated how much the tech helped (but then how much it would have helped more with better support), then perhaps you can change the narrative to "How can we get Kelly everything she needs?" as opposed to "How can we make things more difficult for her?" Based on your dogged determination to get all of this tech so far, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a few obstacles but I don't want them to defer me from trying... I love all your suggestions and I will be operating my IWB via my personal laptop and router next school year. The router is an issue because we operate with school computers not compatible to wireless which could propose issues, I would need to definitely have some type of splitter in my classroom to make sure the router and my school computer could still function.

    I hate being a teaching sob story so I hope I am more of an innovator...it's just frustrating that our community isn't aware of what is going on within our school systems.

    Data data data is definitely something I will be presenting to my admins next year! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete